Titling a used vehicle

Application for certificate of title and registration must be made through the county treasurer’s office in the county in which the vehicle is garaged. To avoid penalty, vehicle registration must be made within 60 days from date of purchase (day the title was assigned to the new owner, or in the case of transferring ownership of an antique vehicle, the day the bill of sale was completed).

Required vehicle information to be presented to County Treasurer’s Office:

  • The title for the vehicle with the assignment completed to the new owner. The back of title must be completed with purchase price, date of sale, odometer reading, as well as the print and signatures of seller(s) and buyer(s) name. The seller may complete a Power of Attorney, Form TR-41, allowing the buyer to complete the assignment. If there is more than one owner showing on the title, the following number of signatures will be required based on the connection between the names:
    • And – All persons listed must sign.
    • Or – Either person can sign, only one signature required
    • If no connection listed, it will default to “and” and all parties must sign
  • If there is a lienholder recorded on the title a lien release will be required. The lien can be released on the title, a notarized lien release, Form TR-150, or a letter from the lienholder releasing the lien.
  • If the title for the vehicle was issued from another state (not a Kansas title) or the Bill of Sale is from an out of state owner, a vehicle inspection is required. The vehicle and title must be taken to a Kansas motor vehicle inspection station and examined and a motor vehicle examination (MVE-1) issued before making application for title and registration. The pink copy of the MVE-1 must be submitted to the treasurer’s office.
    Notice to Buyer: Any antique vehicle being sold on a bill of sale that is 60-years old or newer will require an MVE-1, (Motor Vehicle Examination) issued by the Kansas Highway Patrol and submit when applying for antique title. Application for title must be made within 60 days of the purchase date in the county treasurer’s motor vehicle office in the county in which the vehicle will be located / garaged. Penalty will be assessed on and after the 61st day.
  • Current proof of insurance.
  • Sales tax receipt if vehicle was purchased from a dealer (if not sales tax must be paid). If the sales tax was paid to another state and there is a difference, you will be responsible for paying the difference.
  • Property tax must be paid at the time of registration unless applying for a temporary plate.

For Titles Being Held Electronically (E-Title)

Transfer of License Plate

Required information to be presented to County Treasurer’s Office;

  • Required documents as above for a new vehicle.
  • Current registration receipt for the vehicle with the license plate you want to transfer. (If not available, you will need the license plate number plus a fee for a duplicate registration.)
  • Previous vehicle must be disposed of prior to the new purchase or sold or traded within 60 days after the new purchase.
  • Name of buyer and date of sale of previous vehicle.
  • Assignment of name on new title must match the name on the previous vehicle registration.

Looking for information on titling a new car? Go here!