Frequently Asked Questions about International Registration Plan (IRP)

IRP stands for the International Registration Plan. The Plan is a method of registering fleets of vehicles that travel in two or more member jurisdictions. Fees are calculated according to the miles that you travel in each jurisdiction and other variables. All fees are paid to your base jurisdiction, which then distributes them to the other appropriate jurisdictions.

Generally we cannot tell you what your IRP license fees will be until we process your application and generate an invoice. The fee calculation for each jurisdiction varies based on the laws of that jurisdiction. The fee calculation for your vehicle may be based on gross weight, mileage, vehicle year model, vehicle make, purchase price, your type of operation or other factors, depending on which jurisdictions you request registration for. Our system will calculate the full vehicle registration fee for each jurisdiction and will then determine the appropriate percentage of that fee to charge based on the percentage of miles you travel in that jurisdiction. For example, if 25 percent of your miles are traveled in Nebraska you will be charged 25 percent of the Nebraska registration fee that would be paid for a non-IRP Nebraska registration. Because the fee calculations are so complex we cannot manually calculate them. We can provide you with an estimate based on the full Kansas fee.

You do not need IRP Plates for units under 26,001 however you will need Interstate authority on your USDOT along with purchasing trip permits for jurisdictions you travel into. If you elect to have IRP plates for units under 26,001 you would then be responsible for maintaining log books, and mile for each jurisdiction you travel in

Yes, you must have an established place of business in Kansas to qualify for IRP registration in Kansas. A physical street address is required rather than a post office box. Virtual office locations (such as UPS Store, Share office spaces, etc) are unacceptable.

No. We do accept out of state titles in your name and not assigned over on the back if you have a current lease agreement and will be leasing to a Kansas carrier. If you purchase a vehicle and want to register it in Kansas, a Kansas title will be required.

A base jurisdiction is where the registrant has an established place of business, where mileage is accrued by the fleet and where operational records of that fleet are maintained or can be made available. The established place of business should be a physical structure owned, leased or rented by the fleet registrant and should be designated by a street number or road.

A Kansas based registrant has the option to pay the annual Kansas fleet apportioned registration fee on a quarterly basis. Registrants who elect to pay registration fees on the quarterly payment basis are issued new cab cards after payment of each quarter.

  • The payment of the Kansas annual apportioned registration fee on a quarterly basis applies only to the fee applicable to Kansas and only on a new account, renewal application, or supplemental application adding vehicles before March 1 if payment is received.
  • The amount of the Kansas annual fee shall exceed $300.
  • The quarterly payment basis relates only to an alternate method of payment of the Kansas annual fleet apportioned registration fee.
  • The first quarterly payment of the Kansas annual apportioned registration fee, including Kansas issuance fees, title fees and any supporting documents for registration plus all apportioned registration fees due other IRP jurisdictions, shall be received on or before March 1 of a registration year.

Failure to provide the foregoing requirements on or before March 1 of a registration year shall result in the applicant being required to pay the Kansas annual fleet apportioned registration fee in full, including any registration penalties.

The remaining Kansas annual fleet apportioned registration quarterly payments are due and payable on or before: Second quarter due - April 1 Third quarter due - July 1 Fourth quarter due - Oct. 1.

It shall be unlawful to operate the fleet vehicles when payment is delinquent. If a fleet is detained because of a delinquent quarterly installment, authorization for operation cannot be allowed until proper payment has been made and clearance provided.

No temporary wires are issued for a registrant who has expired registration. A billing notice is provided 20 to 30 days prior to due date. Failure of a fleet owner to receive a billing notice shall not waive or excuse the fleet owner from the payment.

When a fleet owner is delinquent past the due date, a Notice of Lien shall be filed with the Register of Deeds of the county in which the fleet is based. A copy of the Notice of Lien shall be provided the fleet owner showing the amount due. The amount due covers the delinquent quarterly payment, any remaining quarterly payments, and a penalty in the sum of ten percent of the original Kansas total fleet annual apportioned registration fees. A stop title is filed with the Titles and Registrations Bureau and the title cannot be issued to a new owner until the lien has been satisfied.

After a Notice of Lien has been recorded by a Register of Deeds, a Tax Warrant shall be issued to the Sheriff of that county. The Sheriff shall seize and hold all property subject to the lien and advertise and sell the property or an amount of the property to satisfy the state's lien.

When a registrant is delinquent more than ten days beyond the due date of any quarterly payment, such registrant is denied the option to pay the annual Kansas apportioned registration fee in quarterly payments for the next two registration years.

Yes. Once we receive all required paperwork we will issue a 60 day temporary to allow you time to pay the supplement and get the credentials on the vehicle.

You can apply for an “Unladen Vehicle Registration (aka Hunter’s Permit)” through A user account is required. Please contact 785-368-6501 for more information.

You must also register for IFTA and file motor fuel road tax reports on a quarterly basis if the vehicles within your fleet:

  • have two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds; or
  • have three or more axles regardless of weight; or
  • are used in combination, when the combined weight is more than 26,000 pounds gross or registered gross vehicle weight at any time.

Back to top