Frequently Asked Questions About Teen Driving


Applicants under 17 years of age must hold their instructional permit for 1 year from the date it was issued or until their 17th birthday whichever occurs first. A licensee will need to provide an affidavit to the driver licensing office stating that they have completed at least 50 hours of practice driving, with at least 10 practice hours at night, supervised by a licensed adult 21 years of age or older and signed by their parent or guardian. When a 50 hour affidavit is not provided or completed, the license restrictions will continue until age 17. If a licensee has been convicted of two or more moving violations on separate occasions before age 16, the license will remain restricted until age 17. Effective July 1st, 1999, a moving violation for transporting non-sibling passengers will be a moving violation.

Yes, the adult accompanying the holder of an instruction permit, farm permit or restricted license must be 21 years of age or older.

No, the office will not require a log, however we encourage parents or guardians to use a log to keep track of supervised driving time.

No, the law states that the instruction permit be issued in Kansas (pursuant to K.S. 8-239).

All Kansas driver's licenses issued to persons under 21 years of age and all farm permits are valid until the licensee's 21st birthday at the time of application. So, it is not necessary to return to a driver license office to have the restriction removed. The computer record of all licensees will be updated to remove the age restriction when all criteria to remove the restriction have been met. If the licensee wishes to have a new license issued without the restriction, he or she may return to a driver's license office and have a new license made. There is an $8 photo fee.



Actual time spent behind the wheel will be counted toward the requirement if the instructor is 21 years of age or older. Time spent observing or spent doing range driving, when not actually accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older, will not be counted.

No, the blue DE-99 instruction permit is only valid during the driver's education course. All applicants for a restricted license, must have held an instruction permit (or a farm permit) issued by the driver licensing office for at least one year.

No, all applicants for a restricted driver's license, must have held an instruction permit for at least one year issued by the driver licensing office, (or a farm permit as discussed above).

Yes, if the applicant has completed driver's education and can provide proof of name and date of birth as required, the driver licensing office will accept the completion certificate and issue an instruction permit.

Yes, a notation will be made on the permit holder's computer record to show completion of driver's education.

This would be up to the driver's education instructor and the student's parent or guardian.

Any time a change is made to the license type held, the driver licensing office will require a vision test.

These types of questions should be directed to the Kansas Highway Patrol.

Back to top