Driver's License Proof of Identity

Getting Started

Are you getting a Kansas driver’s license, (DL) or identification card (ID) for the first time or moving to Kansas from another state? Replacing a lost or stolen DL or ID card? Or do you need to renew your current Kansas DL or ID card?

Follow this checklist to ensure your application process goes as smoothly as possible.

Document requirements vary, we have included what you need for different situations.

Build a personal list and collect original versions of the documents you will need to present to comply with Kansas’ identifi- cation requirements. This will make your visit more efficient.

Before you visit the office:

  1. Verify you have all the correct documents.
  2. Make sure your documents are originals. Faxed, photo-copied, electronic or laminated copies of documents will not be accepted.
  3. Remember, non-U.S. citizens must be processed through the System Alien Verification for Entitlement (SAVE).
  4. If you have questions not answered in this document, check or call the Kansas Division of Vehicles’ information line at 785-296-3671.

You can print our portable checklist to make sure you have all the required documents when you come to the driver's licensing office.

Puede imprimir nuestra lista de verificación portátil para asegurarse de tener todos los documentos requeridos cuando venga a la oficina de licencias de conducer.

Documents Required For A Kansas Driver's License or Non-Driver ID Card

When applying for any original Kansas Driver's License or Non-Driver identification card (Credentials), you must present documents of:

  • One document from list A or B
  • One document from List D
  • If you are younger than 16, you need to have a parent or guardian present with photo identification
  • Provide two proofs of Kansas residency from List C
  • If Driver’s Education has been completed, bring in the completion form.
  • If your name is not the same on all your documents, provide a document from List F proving your legal name change

Non-U.S. Citizens must be processed through the System Alien Verification for Entitlement (SAVE) prior to application for Credentials. Documents are subject to DLFS review and approval. Additional information may be required. The DLFS will retain images or copies of any document presented. In some cases, document approval may not occur on the same day and may require an additional visit. For information on obtaining birth certificates, marriage licenses, and divorce decrees, visit

List A – US Citizen

These documents show your date of birth, identity and lawful status as a U.S. citizen. If possible, select a document that has your current full legal name to avoid documenting any name change.

  • State issued Certificate of Live Birth issued by vital statistics or equivalent agency from your birth state, U.S. territory or the District of Columbia. Hospital, City, and Bureau of Census birth registrations cannot be accepted.
  • An unexpired U.S. Passport or passport card
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad

List B – Non-US Citizen

These documents show your date of birth, identity and lawful status or presence as a non-U.S. citizen. If possible, select a document that has your current full legal name to avoid documenting any name change.

  • Valid Permanent Resident Card
  • Valid Employment Authorization Card
  • Valid I-94 (i.e. Asylee/Refugee)
  • Unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. entry marking and/or documentation

Note: Certain classifications must also be accompanied by additional documentation, for example:

  • F-1's and M-1's must be accompanied by I-20
  • J-1's and J-2's must be accompanied by a Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor, DS2019
  • For non-U.S. citizen applicants, the Examiner will need documentation sufficient to initiate and complete a SAVE verification

For more information visit U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:

List C – Kansas Residency

These documents establish your Kansas residency and residential address. You must present a document that shows your current name and Kansas residential address. A P.O. Box will not be accepted as proof of residential address.

If a minor child does not have a proof of address included in this list their parent, step-parent or legal guardian can complete a Certification of Address by providing two proofs of address along with identification.

  • Kansas DL or ID renewal postcard
  • Current Kansas vehicle registration or title
  • Utility bill or equivalent no more than two months old
  • Financial institution such as a bank statement, deed or mortgage
  • Rent or lease agreement
  • Kansas Voter Registration Card
  • Current auto, life or homeowners insurance bill with applicant’s name and address
  • Current educational transcript/school grade card
  • Current professional license by a U.S. agency
  • Current W-2 or 1099
  • Mail from a federal, state, county or city agency
  • Department of Corrections Certificate of Identification
  • Check stub
  • Blank or void check
  • USPS change of address confirmation
  • Letter or bill from optometrist, physician, dentist, etc.

List D – Social Security Number

You will need one document that contains your current name and Social Security number.

You may find your Social Security Number on the following documents

  • Social Security card with your current full name
  • Current W-2 or 1099
  • Current pay stub with Social Security number
  • A SSN is not necessary for temporary driver's license applicants with non-work status

Note: A social security number is not necessary for non-U.S. citizens residing in Kansas on a non-work status.

List E – Replacement ID, DL or Permit

If you need a replacement DL or ID card, you may use any of these documents as additional identification.

  • Military ID, military dependent ID, military common access card or DD-214
  • Medical health card or records
  • Photo DL or ID card issued by Kansas or any state that has not been expired for more than a year
  • Student or employee ID card with photo
  • Immunization records
  • Federal or state income tax return bearing your signature
  • Student or employee ID card with photo
  • W2 or check stub
  • Credit or debit card with photo
  • Current vehicle title
  • Current vehicle registration
  • Voter registration card
  • Professional license
  • Disabled ID card
  • Department of Corrections ID

List F – Name Change

If your current legal name is different than on your lawful presence document, you will need to provide your legal name change document.

  • Government issued marriage certificate
  • Divorce Decree—Name Restored as
  • Court Order of Adoption
  • Court Order of Legal Name Change

List G - Out of State Credential

If you have an out of state license, permit, or identification card, in addition to all other required documents above, you will also need to present one of the below documents.

  • Out of state credential (temporary or photo copies cannot be accepted)
  • Motor Vehicle Record or Report dated within the last 30 days
  • Clearance Letter dated within the last 30 days

Note: Due to Federal requirements, Military IDs and Military Common Access Cards shall be relied upon for replacement purposes only and will not be scanned or copied by the Examiner.