Kansas Personalized and Disabled Personalized Plates
Personalized License Plates
A Personalized Plate allows for a total of 7 letters, numbers and/or spaces for autos or trucks and no more than 5 letters, numbers and/or spaces for motorcycles. No type of symbol can be used. Personalized plates are issued for 5 year cycles. The 5 year cycle begins in a year which ends with a zero (0) or five (5).
Disabled Personalized Plates are also available. All disabled personalized plates (auto, truck and motorcycle) are allowed a total of 5 letters, numbers and/or spaces.
To qualify you must:
- Be a Kansas resident or a member of the military who is not a Kansas resident and is stationed at a Kansas military base or office.
- Have a Kansas title in your name or the leasing company’s name for the vehicle to which the personalized plate is to be issued.
- If an antique personalized plate is being applied for, the vehicle must be titled as an antique.
- Personalized plates can be issued to autos, motorcycles and trucks registered for 20,000 lbs. or less.
Steps to obtain the plate:
- Order a plate at your local county treasurer’s motor vehicle office. A Personalized Plate Application form TR-715 may be, but is not required to be, completed and taken with you when you apply.
- The completed form may be taken to your local county treasurer’s motor vehicle office accompanied by the correct fees to make application for the plate and have it delivered to a registration for your vehicle.
- Combinations deemed by the Director of Vehicles or designated agents to have a profane, vulgar, lewd or indecent meaning or connotation shall not be allowed.
- With digital license plate printing, plates are now ordered and delivered to a registration consecutively and preordering a plate is not required in the current series. Please allow thirty days for the new plate to arrive.
Fee for Personalized plate:
- The fee for any personalized plate is $45.50. The fee is paid when original application for the personalized plate is made. The Personalized Plate fee will not be due again for 5 years; until the personalized plate is reissued. Additional Fees may apply.