Kansas Military CDL Skills Test Waiver Program

In accordance with K.S.A 2011 Supp. 8-2,133

"The director may authorize the skills test required by subsection (a) to be waived for an applicant that provides evidence of military commercial vehicle driving experience. To qualify for such a waiver, the applicant must satisfy the criteria established by 49 C.F.R. § 383.77."

Minimum Requirements for Military CDL Skills Test Waiver

49 C.F.R. § 383.77 Substitute for driving skills tests for drivers with military CMV experience. Such conditions must require at least the following:

  • An applicant must certify that, during the two-year period immediately prior to applying for a CDL, he/she:
    1. Has not had more than one license (except for a military license);
    2. Has not had any license suspended, revoked, or cancelled;
    3. Has not had any convictions for any type of motor vehicle for the disqualifying offenses contained in §383.51(b);
    4. Has not had more than one conviction for any type of motor vehicle for serious traffic violations contained in §383.51(c); and
    5. Has not had had any conviction for a violation of military, State or local law relating to motor vehicle traffic control (other than a parking violation) arising in connection with any traffic accident, and has no record of an accident in which he/she was at fault; and
  • An applicant must provide evidence and certify that he/she:(1) Is regularly employed or was regularly employed within the last 12 months in a military position requiring operation of a CMV;(2) Was exempted from the CDL requirements in §383.3;
  • and(3) Was operating a vehicle representative of the CMV the driver applicant operates or expects to operate, for at least the 2 years immediately preceding discharge from the military.


For eligible applicants, download the CDL Military Skills Waiver Certification form. Complete the application in including certification by your Commanding Officer. Out of state applicants must submit with the application, a current Motor Vehicle Record from their home state of record. Submit the completed form(s) to any Full Service State Driver's License office.