Medical Certification Requirement Frequently Asked Questions

Use this flow chart to determine in which category you should self-certify.

Drivers that certify for intrastate driving, either excepted or non-excepted, will have a “K” restriction placed on their license. The restriction limits the driver to intrastate driving whenever they operate a commercial motor vehicle.

Medical certificates issued on or after May 21, 2014, must be issued by a medical professional listed on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners. This means that a commercial driver who is renewing or obtaining a new medical certificate on or after May 21, 2014, must be examined by a medical professional listed on the national registry. Medical examiners must complete training and pass a certification examination required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to become certified. To learn more about the national registry and search for a certified medical examiner, visit:

The short form is the only one that must be presented to any Kansas exam station or faxed to: 785-296-5859. or email it to:

The long form is given to the employer or kept in the self-employed driver’s business papers. Do not send the long form to update your medical card information on your CDL.

You should consult with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration for information about medical qualifications for interstate drivers.

Phone: 708-283-3577
Fax: 708-283-3579.

If you are an intrastate driver (only drives in Kansas), contact the Kansas Corporation Commission at 785-271-3151.

Per federal regulations we are required to downgrade your CDL to a noncommercial privilege. It is the driver’s responsibility to know when their medical card expires and should submit an updated medical examiner’s certificate to our office prior to the expiration date.

If you do not provide our office with an updated medical card before it expires, the Commercial Driver's License Information System (CDLIS) will be notified immediately, and your physical qualification status in CDLIS will be changed to “not certified.” Law enforcement officers routinely check CDLIS, so you could be taken out of service if operating in non-excepted interstate commerce with an expired Medical Examiner’s Certificate on record. It is important to renew your certificate and provide a copy to a Kansas driver licensing office or send it to the Kansas CDL help desk before it expires.

You can send the certificate to the office through the fax or email below.

Fax: 785-296-5859
Email: kdor_Medical.Certification@ks.govv