Identity Theft - Tax Fraud

Did you attempt to Efile your tax return, but it was rejected by the IRS because a return with your Social Security number was already accepted?

If so, you may be a victim of identity theft.

How to file your return

You will have to file your federal and Kansas tax return by paper.

To file your federal return:

  • Complete IRS form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. Either complete the fillable form and print or print the form and complete by hand, then attach the form to your Federal return and mail according to the instructions.

To file your Kansas return:

  • Attach a copy of the completed IRS form 14039 to your paper Kansas return.
  • Mail to: Kansas Income Tax, Kansas Dept. of Revenue, PO Box 750260, Topeka, KS 66675-0260.

For more information on tax-related identity theft and identity theft prevention and resources:

IRS Link: