Frequently Asked Questions About Homestead

The Property Tax Relief claim form (K-40SVR) allows a refund of property tax for seniors, disabled veterans and the surviving spouse of a claimant who was either a disabled veteran or person 65 years of age or older. A claim can be filed with the Kansas Department of Revenue anytime between January 1, 2024, and April 18, 2024.
  • You must have been a resident of Kansas the entire year of 2023 and own your home and had an income of $53,600 or less.
  • Age 65 or over for the entire base year.
  • A disabled veteran for the entire year.
  • The surviving spouse of a claimant who was either a disabled veteran or person 65 years of age or older for the entire year. For the surviving spouse to qualify, the disabled veteran or person 65 years of age or older must have been receiving benefits under K.S.A. 79-4508a at the time of their death.
  • House cannot be valued at more than $350,000 in the base year.
  • If you file a Homestead claim K-40H, the refund will be sent to the county.
  • If you have delinquent property tax, you do not qualify to file the Kansas Property Tax Relief claim K-40PT.
No, a claimant may receive either a Homestead, SAFESR or a Property Tax Relief refund. Each claimant is entitled to only one of the 3.
Kansas Homestead Claim, Kansas Department of Revenue, PO Box 750260 Topeka, KS 66699-0260.
Yes, Form K-40SVR allows the claimant to check a "Refund Advancement Program" box.
No. Do not submit copies of your property tax statements to the Kansas Department of Revenue. Keep a copy in your records, as the department reserves the right to request a copy of the property tax statement at a later date - if needed.
Yes, the refund claim may be filed electronically at Kansas Department of Revenue - Homestead Refund or by either a paid practitioner, a volunteer using Kansas WebFile, or through IRS e-File. These filing options are safe and secure, and you will receive your refund faster if you use direct deposit. File your Homestead claim now by clicking here.
Yes, Property Tax Relief refund claims which are electronically filed may be directly deposited to the claimant's bank account.

To claim a Homestead refund you must have been a Kansas resident for all of 2023 and had an income of $40,500 or less. The maximum refund possible is $700. You must also meet one of the following three requirements:

  1. You were born before January 1, 1968; OR
  2. You must have been blind or totally and permanently disabled all of 2023, regardless of your age; OR
  3. You must have a dependent child who lived with you the entire year who was born before January 1, 2023, and was under the age of 18 the entire year.
  4. The property tax relief claim (K-40PT) is for homeowners that were 65 years of age or older, with a household income of $23,700 or less, and a resident of Kansas all of 2023.

Claimants are to include only 50 percent of Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments they receive during the year in their Household Income.

Social Security DISABILITY, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) DISABILITY, Railroad DISABILITY and Veterans DISABILITY are not included in “Household Income”. Only 50 percent of the regular Social Security and Supplemental Security benefits are to be included in Household Income.

Yes, disabled veterans can claim a homestead refund. Veterans must be Kansas residents, honorably discharged, and certified to have 50 percent or more permanent disability sustained through military actions. Surviving spouses of deceased disabled veterans are also eligible to claim a Homestead refund and remain eligible until such time as they remarry. An original Veterans Disability Determination Letter or Letter from a Regional V.A. that includes the disability date verifying the disability occurred prior to January 1, 2023 and percentage of permanent disability must be filed with the Homestead Refund Claim (K-40H).

A surviving spouse of an active duty service member who died in the line of duty are also eligible to claim a Homestead refund and remain eligible until such time as they remarry.

No. To receive a Homestead refund, the appraised value of the home cannot exceed $350,000.

Normal processing time for a refund is 20 to 24 weeks.

You may check on the status of your current year Homestead refund claim at Kansas Department of Revenue - Home page and click Check My Refund. You may also visit the refund status application directly by clicking here. You will need to provide the Social Security number shown on your claim as well as the exact amount of your refund, in whole dollars only. Lastly, indicate the type of return you are inquiring about a refund for.

Homestead refund information regarding prior year claims or amended claims is not available using this system.

No. Do not subtract any net operating losses or net capital losses from the income amounts.

To file an amended claim, obtain another copy of Kansas Homestead Claim (K-40H) and mark the "amended" box. Enter the information on the claim as it should have been, and enclose an explanation of the changes. If the refund shown on the amended claim is less than the refund you received from the original claim, enclose a check or money order for the difference with your amended claim. Make your check payable to "Kansas Department of Revenue." Write "Homestead Repayment-Amended Claim" and your Social Security number on the face of your payment.

Customers who need help are encouraged to visit the various sections of our website or call the Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center at 785-368-8222.

The Kansas Department of Revenue also provides free taxpayer assistance. Taxpayer Assistance Centers are available by appointment only. Go to to set up an appointment at the Topeka or Overland Park office by using the Appointment Scheduler and/or call Taxpayer Assistance Center at 785-368-8222.

Topeka Office
120 SE 10th Avenue - 1st Floor
Topeka, KS 66612-1103

Overland Park Office
7600 W. 119th St., Suite A
Overland Park, KS 66213-1128

Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. (M-F)
Phone: 785-368-8222
Fax: 785-291-3614

IMPORTANT: Appointments are required. Please visit Kansas Department of Revenue Appointment Scheduling to schedule an appointment. Be sure to bring all pertinent documentation with you.

The following list of documentation is required for all claims:

  • Birth dates and verification of Social Security numbers (SSNs) for the claimant and all household members born before January 1, 2023. SSN verification can be a social security card or an official government document containing the FULL social security number. ***No copies****
  • Photo ID for the claimant.
  • Current tax year real estate tax assessment statement from the county treasurer and/or current tax year property tax form (for mobile homes or modular homes).

This list of documentation will be required if it applies to your situation:

  • Claimants that qualify by disability will need to show documented proof of their disability date.
  • A copy of your current tax year federal and/or state income tax return, if you have one.
  • A copy of your prior year federal and/or state income tax return, if you have one.
  • Proof of all income (taxable and nontaxable) for all household members which may include, but is not limited to, the following: W2 forms and tax documents for pensions, social security income, SSI payments, and food stamps.
  • VOIDED check or deposit slip with bank routing and account number for direct deposit.

Anyone wanting to file a Homestead (K-40H), Property Tax Relief Claim (K-40PT), or a Property Tax Relief Claim for Seniors and Disabled Veterans (K-40SVR) refund may use the Kansas Department of Revenue’s free software. File your Homestead claim now by clicking here WebFile is a simple, secure, fast, and free Kansas electronic filing option:

  • You will need to enter your last year’s refund amount to verify your identity, or
  • 8 digit access code

If this is your first time applying for the Homestead, SAFESR or Property Tax Relief claim, you may file electronically using a 3rd party Vendor Software or file by paper.

If you need assistance signing into the system, contact our office by email at or call 785-368-8222 dial 4 dial 1..