Licensee Operations Frequently Asked Questions

There is no statute or regulation prohibiting this. However, local ordinances may impose other restrictions.

There is no state statute that limits entrance to a club based upon age, but some city or county ordinances may prohibit entry based upon age.

There is no statute or regulation requiring this, but local ordinances may impose a separate requirement.

A drinking establishment may hold public functions on the licensed premises at any time, but may only sell and allow the consumption or possession of alcoholic liquor during its normal allowable hours of operation. A Class A Club can host public events on the licensed premises in accordance with the requirements of K.S.A. 41-2637(d). A Class B Club can host a public event on its licensed premises after requesting and obtaining permission from the Director, however, alcoholic liquor cannot be served, sold or possessed on the licensed premises for the duration of such an event.

There is no statute or regulation which prohibits this, however local city laws may impose additional restrictions.

No. A retail liquor store cannot be located within 200 feet of a church or school, pursuant to K.S.A. 41-710(c)(1). However, a city may approve an ordinance for the retailer to be located within a core commercial district, pursuant to K.S.A. 41-710(d).

There is no provision within the Liquor Control Act prohibiting parolees from drinking in a bar. The individual's parole conditions may impose other prohibitions.



A private party may be held on a licensed premise after it closes to the public; but absolutely no alcoholic beverages may be served, sold, possessed or consumed on the premises except during the legal hours for operation of 6 a.m. to 2 a.m., regardless of whether the premises are open to the public or being used for a private party.

Yes, if the city/county passes a resolution or ordinance to allow the event. The area must be properly licensed and closed to motor traffic.

A retailer must purchase inventory from licensed Kansas distributors or farm wineries. Licensed clubs, caterers, drinking establishments or temporary permit holders may only purchase inventory from a farm winery or retail liquor store which has a federal wholesale permit and is located in the same or adjacent county as the club or drinking establishment. The club or drinking establishment may also purchase bulk wine or beer from a licensed distributor.

K.S.A. 41-728 authorizes returns/exchanges in certain circumstances with the approval of the ABC Director. Submit the completed ABC-812 form.

Yes, provided the establishment is in a wet county where liquor by the drink is authorized.



No. The retailer may only have a door that leads outside.

Mail-in coupons to the manufacturer are allowed; however, no payment or discounts are allowed in the store when these coupons are used. Coupons created and distributed by the licensee can be used and redeemed within the retail liquor store.


They can advertise the price, brand and location for alcoholic liquor and CMB products.

Complete the Request for Permanent Premise Approval form (ABC-806) and submit to your licensing representative for approval.