KDOR Driver Solutions Courts System Logo

Frequently Asked Questions Section


How do I read a Kansas driving record?
Click here for help on how to read a driving record and to view the Kansas Driving Record codes (DC-9). If you still need help, you can call (785) 296-3613 and we will be glad to assist you.

How long do convictions remain on a driving record?
Convictions for minor offenses (i.e., speeding) remain on the driving record for 3-years. Convictions for major offenses (i.e., driving while suspended) remain on the driving record for 5-years. Convictions for DUI, and DUI diversions, remain on the driving record for the lifetime of the driver.

Back to top.


How long will it take to process my reinstatement once its received by your office?
7-10 business days. We process all documents in the order received.

Can a driver pay a drivers license reinstatement fee on-line?
Yes, a customer may pay the drivers license reinstatement fee on-line if suspended due to an insurance matter. Drivers License reinstatement payments will be accepted through Kan-Pay Service Express and forwarded to the Division of Vehicles, Driver Solutions Bureau for processing. Payment is accepted by all major credit cards and by e-check. The customer will be charged a non-refundable convenience fee for use of this service. Again, this payment service is only for the payment of insurance related reinstatements. A customer may not pay for traffic tickets, motor vehicle records or alcohol related reinstatements through KanPay Service Express.

Can a driver get a hardship driver’s license?
Kansas laws do not allow the issuance of a hardship license that would allow a person to drive during the length of their suspension, revocation, cancellation or disqualification period.

Back to top.


Where can a driver get an ignition interlock device installed on a vehicle(s)?
Only approved ignition interlock devices can be installed. To see a list of those approved for installation in Kansas click here. When the driver receives an ignition interlock restriction notice, they take that letter to the service provider when ready to have the device installed on the vehicle. If the driver does not have an ignition interlock restriction notice, the must submit a request to Driver Solutions Bureau, P.O. Box 12021, Topeka, KS 66612-2021 to get approval to have an ignition interlock device installed.

Are there any exceptions to one's driving privileges when that person is restricted to only operating a motor vehicle with an ignition interlock device?
Yes; a person who is restricted to operating only a vehicle with an ignition interlock device may operate an employer's vehicle without an ignition interlock device during normal business hours, provided that the person does not partly or entirely own or control the employer's vehicle or business. (K.S.A. 8-1014(h) applies).

Back to top.


What date does a suspension begin following a court conviction?
See the Imposed Actions Chart for a quick look at effective dates for various offenses. The Kansas Statute for each violation determines the start date of any action following a conviction for that violation. Most actions against driving privileges are taken when Driver Solutions processes the abstract of conviction. However, some statutes specifically state that any action shall begin on the date of conviction or another date ordered by the court; for example, Transportation of Open Container.

Back to top.


Can Driver Solutions take action on an insurance matter even if the court dismisses the charge of No Insurance?
Yes. Driver Solutions will attempt to verify insurance when an Insurance Verification Form (DC-66) is received. If the insurance company cannot verify coverage, Driver Solutions will notify the driver to furnish evidence of insurance. This is an administrative action and is not impacted by the status of the no insurance ticket.

Back to top.


How do I get set up for electronic submission of convictions, suspensions, and reinstatements for failure to comply?
Click on the Downloads and Forms section of this website for all information necessary for electronic submission of convictions and suspensions/reinstatements. Asia Puck by phone at (785) 291-3392 or by email asia.puck@ks.gov with additional questions related to the setup of electronic submission.

Back to top.


How is a Kansas conviction for an out-of-state driver handled once it is submitted to Driver Solutions?
Upon receipt of a conviction for an out-of-state driver, Driver Solutions will forward the abstract of conviction to the driver’s “home state”. The driver’s “home state” will take action on the conviction in accordance with that state’s laws/regulations. Driver Solutions does not maintain tickets for out-of-state drivers. and any questions related to a conviction for an out-of-state driver or the resultant action would be addressed with the driver’s home state.

What is the Commercial Driver’s License Information System (CDLIS)?
CDLIS supports the issuance of commercial driver licenses (CDLs) by the jurisdictions, and assists jurisdictions in meeting the goals of the basic tenet "that each driver, nationwide, have only one driver license and one record" through the cooperative exchange of commercial driver information between jurisdictions. CDLIS consists of a Central Site and nodes at the Motor Vehicle Agencies (MVAs) of the 51 jurisdictions. The Central Site houses identification data about each commercial driver registered in the jurisdictions. When a jurisdiction queries CDLIS to obtain information about an applicant prior to issuing a CDL, the CDLIS Central Site compares data provided by the state of inquiry against all records in CDLIS. If one or more matches are returned, then the CDLIS Central Site "points" the state of inquiry to the state of record. The state of record can then provide the detailed information about the driver's commercial driving history.

What is the Problem Driver Pointer System (PDPS)?
PDPS is used to search the National Driver Register (NDR), a repository of information on problem drivers provided by all 51 U.S. jurisdictions. Based on information received as a result of an NDR search, PDPS will "point" the inquiring jurisdiction to the state of record, where an individual's driver status and history information is stored. Based on the information received from the state of record, the issuing state will decide if the applicant is eligible to receive a new or renew al driver license.

Back to top.